Tuesday, July 10, 2012

[Peckers_Pics] Male/Gay Health-Discussion-PICS Re: Gay writers

 

Yes I am a writer also! I started out writing and contributing articles in my early twenties to magazines like "First Hand" "Inches" especially the ones that had writing contests. I still remember framing my first check earned from a Gay publication for an article submitted.

Writing was a large part of my career/regular job as well. However, I always planned to write books and I recently wrote and published my first, "Concerto of Life" under my pen name Michael Winton.

I must say it is a great feeling of self-accomplishment, seeing my book and title on the list at Borders Books and Amazon.com [smile]. I had planned to write the book for years because I made myself a promise to tell the story and dedicated the book to several of my Gay friends who I either came out with and/or experienced important milestones in my growth and maturity as a Gay Male. The book talks of my own experiences as a Gay Male in Washington, DC's Gay community, the club experience, and especially my sharing my personal struggles with being a Black Gay male in relating to the Gay community, the Black Gay community, the Black culture and many of the taboos, etc. regarding the homosexual life style; as well as the Black Church and the behind the scenes experiences as a gospel singer/performer along side my two best friends who were also gay!

The book shares how I came to grips with accepting being gay, coming out to family and friends, and most of all the key and steps I learned that helped me establish a strong sense of self-love, purpose as a Gay man, dealing with the negative gay stereotypes, etc. that I saw destroy my best friends over a period of time.

The exploration of the negative impacts of how trying to cope with being gay through drugs, drinking and/or casual sex has taken a toll on so many gay people and those closest to me. And as a result to share my life lessons with those still struggling with how, why and what to do because they are gay!

So the long and short of it, I have been writing since before I won my school essagy contest in the 7th Grade, LOL, only to find the prize was a summer enrichment program at Gonzaga High School [lol, in otherwords "Summer School" Yes a very advanced and very helpful program, but still Summer School!].

Chachi

--- In Peckers_Pics@yahoogroups.com, "henlewsan26" <henlewsan26@...> wrote:
>
> Are there any gay writers in the group?
>
> Henry Sanders
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
All members of "Peckers PICS" are requested to join our "Obama Biden 2008" group as it runs in conjunction to this group.  Both groups shall not repeat articles from one group to another.  However, to gain full knowledge of Gay rights, members must belong to the Obama group as well as this group.  Therefore, please accept your invitation to join. 

To join the Obama group please click (or copy and paste the link into your browser) @  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ObamaBiden2008/join

Thank you!
 

"Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges."

...Jake (Moderator)


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment