Monday, May 24, 2010

[Peckers_Pics] Model Wars; May 25, 2010 - Safe PICS For All Ages, Rated G



Model Wars; May 25, 2010
Safe PICS For All Ages, Rated  G
 

Consider joining:

    Take Action:

    Diet & Fitness:
    • Did you complete your Diet Journal today?  Get it done!
    • Did you do any physical activity?  If not, make a point of it by tomorrow! 
    • It is our hope that these photos shall inspire you!

    Today's Health/Excercise Tip:
    Teen Idol Nick Jonas Takes on Diabetes
     
    By Mari Cartel, Lifescript Entertainment Editor

    Most 17-year-olds would be very content touring with a hit band like the Jonas Brothers and starring in their own TV sitcom (the Disney Channel's "JONAS").

    Not Nick Jonas. 

    The teenage singer-songwriter and guitarist works tirelessly to raise awareness and funds for diabetes research, a cause close to his heart since being diagnosed with type 1 at age 13. With older brothers and band mates Kevin and Joe, he also started a charity, the Change for the Children Foundation, that encourages kids to get involved with causes they care about.

    "I saw I could use it as an opportunity to encourage young people who may be feeling as I did when I got diagnosed, which is a real sense of loneliness – of not knowing anyone else who has what you have," Jonas says.
     
    Were you upset when you were diagnosed with type 1?
    I was mad only when I didn't know what was wrong with me – when I had all the symptoms of diabetes and didn't know anything about it.

    I knew everything wasn't right and was concerned about what it could be. Once I found out I had diabetes, it all made sense and that's when I felt peace.

    Was it hard to go public with it?
    It's difficult to explain [diabetes] to people who aren't educated about it, because they assume you can't eat sugar – and you can.

    It's an interesting thing, diabetes. The fact is that my pancreas just doesn't work and doesn't do the things everyone else's does naturally.

    And I think when I explain diabetes to people, it's a lot easier. But in the beginning it was tough.
     
    What signs of the disease did you have?
    The first clue was I lost about 15 pounds in two weeks and I only weighed about 110 pounds when I was diagnosed. That was a big telltale sign.

    The other thing is you become very thirsty and use the restroom a lot, and that was happening to me.

    I had mood swings too, because your blood sugar's so high it affects your attitude. I'm always in a pretty good mood, so I was caught off-guard by that.

    It all happened so quickly, and it came on in about three or four weeks, and then I was in the hospital.
     
    Could you have done anything differently?
    I wish I could have figured it out a little earlier. When I went to the hospital, my blood sugar was almost 800 and it should be around 70 to 120. It was kind of crazy.

    Once you got over the initial shock, did your attitude change?
    I felt like it was something I could manage. It's a tough thing, but once it happens it helps to say, "This is it. I have to deal with this now."

    You don't know why things like that happen in your life, but it's about how you deal with them that matters.
     
    How does diabetes affect your daily life?
    It's difficult at times to make sure I'm on top of my diabetes. I've got a busy schedule. It takes a lot of commitment and I know what the dangers are. I want to make sure I'm healthy.

    Right now, I'm in the best health I've ever been in, and that's with the help of my doctors and the right tools to make sure I manage my diabetes well.

    How do you keep it under control?
    First step is testing my blood sugar, which I do 10-12 times a day. That's the most important thing, just watching your numbers and making sure they're good.

    I have an insulin pump that helps me regulate my sugar levels. Before I go onstage, I have to check to make sure I'm not going to [get low blood sugar] onstage or I'm not having a high blood sugar day.
     
    Why do you want to educate people about diabetes?
    Because I've seen the change it has on people's lives when they hear my story and are encouraged by it. Time and again, I hear from people who tell me that by my being so honest and open about this, it has helped them not only with diabetes, but with [other] struggles in their lives.

    It's taken a lot of courage, especially when I feel like I may not have the best grip on it myself.

    At those times I think, "How can I possibly give someone advice or encourage someone when I'm still dealing with the ups and downs myself?"

    What keeps you motivated?
    It's the moments when I see the faces of people who are helped by my story. Through emails, Twitter messages, MySpace, I hear people saying it has encouraged them – and that's what it all comes down to.
    And Now, Model Wars!
    This group is called "Peckers PICS."  The English -  slang definition of "pecker" is to pluck at the truth. Therefore, we peck at items such as Gay Men's Health and Male Fitness, Gay (LGBT) Politics & Issues.  In this section you may peck at each photo in order to decide the winner of the "war of the fittest!"  Whereas, who is the model that may inspire you to exercise and "get fit?"  Warning: This may stoke you!
    Alex Hawn
     
    You Decide!
    Stoked?
    Zimbabwe police raid gay group offices, arrest 2

    HARARE, Zimbabwe --- Police have arrested two members of a gay organization after they posted a letter in their office from former San Francisco Mayor Willie Lewis Brown criticizing the Zimbabwean president's opposition to homosexuality, their lawyer said Monday.

    Ellen Chadehama, 34, and Ingatius Mhambi, 38, are employees of the Gays and Lesbians of Zimbabwe (GALZ) organization. They were arrested on allegations under Zimbabwe's censorship laws on Friday.

    Attorney David Hofisi said the two will remain in jail until Wednesday -- Tuesday is a public holiday in Zimbabwe -- after police seized the letter from the organization's suburban offices.

    Police said the letter, mounted on an office wall, "undermined the authority of the president," an offense under sweeping security laws carrying a penalty of a fine or brief imprisonment.

    Police raided the offices of the gay and HIV/AIDS awareness group Friday, removing documents and files.

    Hofisi said he was not allowed to visit the two staff members in jail over the weekend.

    "We asked the police to release them to us so we can come with them to court on Wednesday, but they have denied that," he said.

    The U.S. mayor's letter also commended the local organization as a champion of gay rights. Brown did not respond to requests for comment left at his San Francisco office by The Associated Press.

    President Robert Mugabe has described same-sex partners as "lower than dogs and pigs" but arrests of gays are rare in Zimbabwe.

    Mugabe, 86, had been in power for three decades since Zimbabwe gained independence from Britain. Last year, he entered a power-sharing coalition government with his longtime rival Morgan Tsvangirai following a disputed 2008 election. However, the fragile partnership has been fraught with disagreements, including allegations that Mugabe's party has not done enough to promote democratic reforms.

    Human rights organizations have called for Mugabe to face trial at the International Criminal Court on charges of political violence, vote-rigging and human rights violations by state agents over the past decade.

    Homosexuality is illegal in most African countries. Last week in Malawi, a judge sentenced a gay couple to a maximum 14 years in prison with hard labor after the men celebrated their engagement with a party at a hotel. In Uganda, lawmakers are considering a bill under which homosexuals could be sentenced to life in prison and "repeat offenders" could be executed. Even in South Africa, the only African country that recognizes gay rights, gangs have raped lesbians.

     

    "Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges."

     
    ....Jake 
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     


    __._,_.___


    All members of "Peckers PICS" are requested to join our "Obama Biden 2008" group as it runs in conjunction to this group.  Both groups shall not repeat articles from one group to another.  However, to gain full knowledge of Gay rights, members must belong to the Obama group as well as this group.  Therefore, please accept your invitation to join. 

    To join the Obama group please click (or copy and paste the link into your browser) @  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ObamaBiden2008/join

    Thank you!
     

    "Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges."

    ...Jake (Moderator)






    Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
    Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
    Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
    Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

    __,_._,___

    No comments:

    Post a Comment