Friday, August 13, 2010

[TOWWFFC] WWE Signs College Football Player to a Developmental Deal

 

Leavine Signs With WWE
By CHRIS BERNHARDT JR.
- Tampa Bay Online

Published: August 12, 2010

When Andrew Leavine first met his future in-laws, he said they asked him
about his plans for the future. He responded by telling them he wanted to go
into professional football.

When they pressed him for what he'd do if that fell through, he replied that
he would like to go into professional wrestling - and meant it.

On Tuesday, Plan B came to fruition. Leavine, a 2006 graduate of Springstead
High who spent the past four years playing along the offensive line at
Florida International University, signed a contract with World Wrestling
Entertainment.

"Football didn't work out. I've been wanting to get into wrestling for a
long time anyway," Leavine said. ". I've always known once my football days
were over, that's what I wanted to get into. I've known that for a long,
long time."

For the foreseeable future, Leavine, 6-foot-5, 292 pounds, will hone his
skills in Florida Championship Wrestling, a developmental league for the WWE
that already features Hernando High grads and brothers Windham and Taylor
Rotunda.

Windham Rotunda is currently competing as Husky Harris on WWE NXT, a show
that airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on Syfy pitting FCW stars in a competition for
a spot in the WWE.

Leavine, originally from Brooksville, is living in Port Richey at the moment
and will relocate to Tampa later this month.

Football fallout

In late April, shortly after the 22-year-old graduated from FIU with a
degree in parks and recreation, Leavine was one of a handful of undrafted
rookies to sign with the Miami Dolphins.

His tenure in aqua and orange didn't last long. Leavine claims he was misled
by the organization and caught in a numbers game.

"I felt I got kind of hosed over, but it is what it is and I'm in a good
situation," Leavine said. "I'm more than capable of playing at that level. I
was told one thing and something totally different happened there. I was
told I'd be one of the only centers brought in and there were 17 linemen in
minicamp."

Leavine said he talked briefly with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and considered
offers from both the Arena and Canadian Football Leagues.

"The money isn't even worth it," Leavine said. "I love to play football.
It's a great sport. But I've got a wife and kid to support. To play for $500
or less a week ain't going to cut it.

". It (football) got me an education. It did a bunch of great things for me.
Playing with the college I played for, we didn't win a bunch of games. That
kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. We had the talent, it just never
came together.

"I'm a little bitter because I wanted to win college football games and that
didn't happen. As a sport I'll miss it, but better things are on the
horizon."

Those things are the culmination of a lifelong interest in the sports
entertainment industry. While there is no timetable for Leavine to begin
performing in FCW, he'll start a rigorous training program shortly.

Leavine had publicly dropped hints of his desire to become a professional
wrestler in the past, even during his amateur days at Central and
Springstead.

Though he never advanced to states in the rugged heavyweight division,
Leavine did finish 33-4 with 23 pins as a senior, his only season competing
for the Eagles.

Leavine also practiced jiu-jitsu and mixed martial arts during his time at
FIU, skills that could combine with his wrestling background to form a solid
base from which to launch his new career.

"It helps tremendously," Leavine said of his past experience on the mat.
"But at the same time, I'm walking into a whole different animal here. It's
going to be a process of watching film, watching guys in front of me, like
Husky Harris. It helps to watch those guys and see what I have to do to get
to the next level."

- Tampa Bay Online

http://www2.hernandotoday.com/content/2010/aug/12/leavine-signs-wwe/areasports/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
<*> For all off topic discussions please use WWERHC: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WWERawHeatClub
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment