Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Re: [Peckers_Pics] Male/Gay Health-Discussion-PICS Model Wars-Jun 22, 2011-Countdown w/Keith Olbermann-Current TV (M-F) 8PM EST



Marki:

Thank you for your kind words. And you are so right about learning from those who came before us - I never stop. I also believe that those of us with experience should mentor those of the current generation and help them to learn from our mistakes so they can lead their best life. In my mind, one of the key reasons that we are making legislative and "freedoms" progress in our country right now is because of the wisdom of those who have lived with repression, the resulting consequences and their willingness to be open about it. This has helped to open the eyes of decision makers. This is true throughout history: resulting in similar progress for women, minorities, people with disabilities, etc.  

Part of the "opening eyes" process is NOT DOING BUSINESS with companies that work to inhibit and limit our freedoms - just like the US government now prohibits American citizens from doing business with companies that sponsor or support terrorism. It is the same thing. Read and follow Jake's daily boycott list - those organizations will NOT stop their vile behavior unless it hits them in the pocket. Look what happened with Glenn Beck's Fox TV show. Money talks.

Marki, let's keep working together.

Warren
On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Mark Tillman wrote:

 

Warren, I certainly appreciate your assessment & example of what you said regarding Jake's & my shared ideals of looking forward rather than dwelling on the past, which does no good at all, especially since we cannot change the past!

I also want to commend you for sharing your personal story of circumstances that led you to the decisions you made at that time in your life! I have always paid very close attention to all of my gay friends and colleagues, as well as intelligent members of this group, such as yourself, that are older & wiser than I am! We all as a society learn from history, and hope that we do not make the same mistakes or decisions that we made in earlier eras and generations?!

I can tell you that in my experience, listening to and learning from gay men older than me, who experienced a very different environment than I experienced, has given me much wisdom in decisions I make today!! I have also been able to understand & appreciate the "plight" of the gay community, especially what gay men of earlier generations had to deal with, as well as how they handled living in society at that time! I can tell by the way your message is written, that you are a positive thinker & do not waste your time second guessing on the past decisions you felt were right to make at that time! It's also very obvious that you care for & love your family and children!

As I've discussed before, although we come from different generations, even in my own generation, I was still in a similar position that you were, in regards to being surrounded by conservative and religious family and friends. I made the choices I did, because of my situation & surroundings at that time! However, I also am astutely aware that previous generations were even harder to live in, than what I had to deal with in my own generation! I have great respect for gay men that had a much harder time than I did, while growing up as a gay boy & then maturing as a gay man!

Thank you again, for sharing your personal experiences! Stories such as yours, as well as listening to advice from gay men who have gone before us, is a marvelous & awesome experience for all younger generations! By TRULY LISTENING, It's a great opportunity to gain more wisdom! I can't think of anything better or more priceless than that! Marki :-)


Sent from "Marki's" Android O.S. 2.4 LG Optimus (Smartphone).



From: Warren Field <warrenfield1@mac.com>;
To: <Peckers_Pics@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: Re: [Peckers_Pics] Male/Gay Health-Discussion-PICS Model Wars-Jun 22, 2011-Countdown w/Keith Olbermann-Current TV (M-F) 8PM EST
Sent: Tue, Jun 28, 2011 4:24:44 AM

 

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me because I was married to a
woman.

I don't know how old "Jeffrey in Detroit" is, but when I got married
at 23 (35 years ago), I did not do it erroneously - at the time I
thought that it was the right thing to do and I truly loved her. I
was just unaware of my gay feelings because I was not living in a
time, nor had i grown up at a time nor in a circumstance where I was
able to explore/understand/articulate/fulfill those feelings. I was
not in denial because where I lived (New Hampshire, a very
conservative republican, primarily catholic society) and the
religious family in which I grew up did not provide me with the
emotional or social option to even consider those feelings. So I was
unable to talk about how different I felt and those feelings remained
repressed. As I said in my previous message, if I had grown up more
contemporarily and knew then what I know now, I may have made very
different choices - but that is a moot point and I only look forward
in my life. However, I want Jeffrey to know that I do not in any way
regret my 27 year marriage or my 2 beautiful adult sons.

I don't presume to judge anyone else or the choices that they have
made in their lives. But what I have learned - and both Jake and
Marki (each in their own unique ways, as they are from very different
generations) seem to share and promote is what I said above: look
forward, not backward, and work to help create a climate (socially,
legally, societally) where we can all find out and be who we are
openly and happily.

Warren





__._,_.___


All members of "Peckers PICS" are requested to join our "Obama Biden 2008" group as it runs in conjunction to this group.  Both groups shall not repeat articles from one group to another.  However, to gain full knowledge of Gay rights, members must belong to the Obama group as well as this group.  Therefore, please accept your invitation to join. 

To join the Obama group please click (or copy and paste the link into your browser) @  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ObamaBiden2008/join

Thank you!
 

�Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.�

...Jake (Moderator)






Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment